Ashes HQ
Skip

General Discussion

Post has published by Okru
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Participant

With Steve confirming multiboxing will be allowed (with restrictions) what do you think about it. Ill post his quote below.

By some stroke of luck, my wife agreed to play Ashes with me when it releases. I know for a fact that she will be MUCH more casual than I which got me thinking. Why put that account time to waste. You will not be able to run multiple instances of the game in one computer but do you think it would be feasible using a bluetooth keyboard/mouse to work on artisan classes in the background? I cant seem myself using it as a healbot while farming a camp but it would be neat to go fishing on the alt while im on a slow grind that doesnt take too much effort.

So lets hear your thoughts. Is it ethical? Do you plan on doing it?

Steven

“Multiple accounts and multi-boxing, that’s a little bit difficult for me because it could be conceived as pay-to-win, because you can progress on a second character and you can then gift that progression to your primary character. In that scenario yes I can see the argument. However if the character progresses with the same amount of effort and time needed by the person who’s playing and they maintain that progression on that character, then I don’t consider it pay-to-win. I consider it a second account. So initially what I’m going to say is having multi-boxing capability will be allowed within Ashes of Creation. There are a few safety nets that I put in place that kind of restrict the ability for abuses that we’ve seen in other games.”

• This topic was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Okru.
  • Keymaster

Hey buddy!

I actually don’t have an issue with this myself. Once somebody begins using a program or some automation to help run multiple accounts that is where I draw the line. A situation like this is harmless from my perspective!

• Participant

The main concern with multi-boxing would be it being abused in PvP. Where there is a will there is a way.
    That being said, someone is paying the monthly subscription and putting in the effort to level and gear extra characters.
    In other MMOs multi-boxing leads to bots. But with open world PvP it isn’t easy to have bots. People will just kill them. I know I would be willing to get some Corruption to murder a bot.
    I saw a lot of bots in New World, since there wasn’t a monthly sub and nothing stopping them, bots were rampant. I would have gladly logged in and spent a few hours just killing bots if that had been an option. I don’t think I was the only one fed up with seeing a bot farming hemp right before I was able to.

About 20 years ago I kind of multi-boxed in Shadowbane. I was sitting in a wheeled computer chair and rolled back and forth between my computer and my roommates. Was hard to do, especially in PvP, and the follow command helped of course, but I don’t think it was unethical. My roommate wasn’t able to play as much as I was at the time and since we were dual guild leaders I didn’t want to get way more levels than him. Bad optics, but additionally as part of joining our mercenary guild we made each new member have a trial by combat. They had to fight one of the guild leaders. So of course we both needed to get those levels really fast. If his character had way less levels then everyone would end up challenging him instead of me. I really liked the one on one combat since it was a fun way to get to know new guildies, and I never lost. I had one tie, but no losses.
    Now I am clearly just rambling, lost in memories of glory long past.

Anywho, to summarize, bots are evil and should be dealt with harshly. Multi-boxing is fine as long as someone is manually managing the characters.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.